If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (800) 734-0602

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

What Can I Do About Mold Damage?

5/15/2017 (Permalink)

What Can I Do About Mold Damage?

Finding mold damage in a home that you are about to purchase or have been living in for some time can be a stressful experience. Mildew and mold in your home can affect its resale value. Commercial mold damage can affect the operation of your business. Luckily, there are several mold removal, mitigation and remediation options available for business owners and homeowners.

Depending on what your budget is, mold removal, mitigation and remediation can be done yourself or if it's very large-scale, it may be smart to use a professional service. Some services will offer consultation, to determine if mold or fungus actually exists. Sometimes you’ll be able to see it yourself or you may encounter a smelly odor coming from areas where moisture has built up and mold or mildew has grown. To undergo mold removal or mitigation yourself, whether you have commercial mold damage or mold in your home, remember these important tips:

Safety - ensure all occupants and workers are protected physically.
Assessment - This can be conducted by professionals. They will make a pre-assessment before mold removal, mitigation and remediation, as well as one after the process, is complete.
Control Further Contamination - prevent the spread of the mold to other areas as much as possible.
Source Removal - the most important thing to remember is to remove the source of the mold damage at its source so that it cannot continue to grow and spread.
Moisture Removal - identify the moisture problem and fix it so that mold does not regrow from this area.

If you discover mildew or mold damage in your home, and it’s in a small area, it may be possible to clean the area yourself. First, the room should be closed off from the rest of the house - close the door and close windows to prevent breezes from dispersing mold spores. The affected drywall should be removed, tightly bagged and sealed and thrown away. Hard surfaces should be wiped and cleaned with a disinfectant. Underneath the drywall, where the wood framing is, should also be scrubbed with mold-killing solution. The drywall that was removed should be replaced with clean, fresh drywall and then the area thoroughly vacuumed, cleaned and subject to deodorization procedures. Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter if possible that will do the best job of filtering airborne particles. Deodorization is important as well, to get rid of the smelly odors that mold produces. of course, effective cleaning and replacement of affected areas will certainly help with this, but extra deodorization procedures may be used as well.

For commercial mold damage and removal, it may require the services of a professional if it’s in a large-scale area. This service can be especially useful because they can help you address the mold damage problem at its source so that you won’t have the same problems in the future. They may be able to install preventative equipment, such as circulating fans or additional ventilation so that the mold problem does not resurface. They used advanced equipment and techniques to address mold removal and remediation of fungus and mildew and subsequent deodorization to remove the smelly odors. There are several professional companies that can help you with commercial mold damage.

Moving Forward

Addressing what caused the mold in your home and fungus buildup in the first place can help you avoid this problem in the future. One of the most common places for mold in your home and fungus to grow is in a bathroom that is not well-ventilated. You will notice a smelly odor after a certain period of time when the area has had moisture buildup. Anytime a shower is used, a fan should be circulating the moist air out. If your bathroom doesn’t have a fan, a window should be open to let moisture out and consider putting a window-sized exhaust fan in the open space to further help moist air escape. Visit http://www.SERVPROcranston.com for more information on mold removal and remediation.

Other News

View Recent Posts