Biohazard and Sewage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A biohazard contaminant is a serious risk and it should be taken seriously. A biohazard containment — wastes like human blood and fluids (or related substances), animal waste, microbiological wastes, pathological wastes and medical sharps — can spread disease, infection and bacteria. The most common of all biohazard events are sewer backups and flood water. Regardless, caution is key, professional services is key.
OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) has established standards for cleanup. These standards outline the right protocols, equipment and the relevant expertise.
But, when you first come in contact with a biohazard there are important next steps that you should take, read our tips below.
Need Biohazard Cleanup? Call Us Today – (800) 734-0602
After any biohazard or sewage contamination in your home or business, your primary focus should be safety:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences.
- Flood water can contain sewage, pesticides, and other contaminants.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
What to Do After a Contamination
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Call emergency service personnel if the situation is life-threatening.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are contaminated.
- Turn off the HVAC system if there is sewage damage.
What Not to Do After a Contamination
- Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don’t leave books, magazines, or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don’t use television or other household appliances.
- Don’t turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
24 Hour Emergency Service
Biohazards like flood water or sewer backups should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. SERVPRO of Cranston has water damage restoration specialists and has specific training and expertise to safely remediate biohazard contaminants.
SERVPRO of Cranston proudly serves Cranston, West Warwick, Coventry, and surrounding areas.